Starfire character redesign
I was reading a post on BABD and I had an idea. I’m having a hard time writing a coherent commentary tonight, so assorted thoughts:
- I was thinking “alien”, “solar-powered” and “sexually liberated culture”, and realized that “topless” is the logical result. Modern western society’s fixation on breasts is weird.
- I hate the fact that we have to suffer endless sexualization of women in comics, yet you couldn’t print this design because it shows nipples. What the hell.
- The look is vaguely inspired by Dahomey Amazons and the Himba people. I hope I’m not going to upset anybody, because it’s not as tactfully researched as I'd like, but I meant well.
- Related: why are humanoid aliens always white-looking? Why don’t they look Inuit, or Tadjik, or San?
- Kori’s hair <3
- I wanted to give her beauty/body modifications that wouldn’t look beautiful to us Westerners, to show that she’s an alien, but I chickened out. Boo.
- Note to self: trying to add a “background” after painting a figure is really dumb.